Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Ruins Of Detroit

(Version 2. Title links to CCF page. Blockquote.)

Continuing a string of great articles at American Thinker, Matthew May has an interesting piece today entitled Carl Levin and the ruins of Detroit.

I have many fond memories of baseball games at the old Tiger Stadium, both as a boy with my dad as well as annual trips with a business development group back in the 80's.

I knew the Tigers had moved on to a new stadium a decade ago, but, until I read this piece, I had no idea that Tiger Stadium was still standing.

Matthew May tells the story better than I could:

For years the stadium decayed before the city decided to commence demolition last year and the outfield bleachers came tumbling down, providing an open window into the stadium from I-75. Unyielding to the last, the preservationists leaned on the city council (a more foolish and criminal element would be difficult to find, though that is another story) to halt the inevitable. The council ceased demolition provided the stadium-savers generate private money for a sensible purpose. They failed. The stadium would finally be coming down. At last one of the city's eyesores would finally be removed.

But in January, Teleprompter Jesus raised his hand and called for stimulus. Sen. Carl Levin, ensconced in the upper chamber since the Carter administration, became aroused.

In the Senate version of the omnibus spending bill a provision allots $3.8 million for "preservation and redevelopment of a public park and related business activities in the Corktown neighborhood." This earmark was inserted by Sen. Levin aimed directly at saving what is left of Tiger Stadium. When challenged by Sen. Tom Coburn, Sen. Levin actually argued during a Senate session that this money would help bring much-needed jobs to the area. A more laughable statement would be difficult to construct. But the provision remained. Sen. Levin won and the stadium is still standing, harsh against a steel-gray March sky, with no novel coda in sight or even on the table. In the meantime, the median home sale price in Detroit in December was $7,500.

Sen. Levin may well indeed wish to preserve something of Tiger Stadium. He has spoken movingly on its importance in his own life, growing up a Jew in Detroit and watching with pride and awe as Hank Greenberg was lifted up as a hero of the city, so much so that after one important game the Detroit Free Press ran a headline wishing him a happy Jewish new year in Hebrew. Nobody wishes to diminish the personal significance Tiger Stadium holds for Sen. Levin, as it does for countless Detroiters. But he is an influential man, no? Could he not lead or organize a private effort that could raise double the earmarked funds? Or would it not be time to stiffen up a bit and acknowledge that nothing lasts forever?

But no. Sen. Levin's plea on the Senate floor for an earmark to try and preserve a half-demolished relic is perfect, really. It is the perfect summation of the mindset and actions threatening to turn the nation into a giant Detroit. Here is the power-mad, lordly Senator-from-on-high arguing for the necessity of further tax confiscation in a boondoggle spending bill to save a building that was last barely useful at the end of the previous century. The disfigured stadium remains as but the freshest gaping wound on a clinically dead patient. Such an earmark passed through with nary a thought, least of all from the president - the same man who vowed to eliminate such provisions with his exacting scalpel. And there it stands.

Take a good look, fellow citizens. If you like what you see on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, you will love the landscape of Obama's America.

"Teleprompter Jesus" -- ya gotta love it!

Retired Spook

3 comments:

  1. AAR, I thought I'd take a look at this before I got started on taxes.

    OK, I think I understand one of the things you mentioned in your email. The active link in the title is like a "permalink" to this post and associated comment block and comment thread only, whereas the link in the post itself directs back to the original AT article -- right?

    BTW, I finally got back to this test blog by searching for and clicking on it in my computer history. I have no idea why the link in your email didn't work, but I've bookmarked it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RS,

    If what I understand is what you actually meant, the answer is yes.

    To use that "link" feature Google describes (links at the bottom of the post for example), I'll have to figure out what template they are talking about and where and how to post it. (Again, I think.)

    That won't stop you from posting the links like I described for now.

    I'll be off for a few hours. I'll check back later today to see if you have any questions.

    Work your taxes first. I've got to get started on mine.

    AAR

    ReplyDelete
  3. RS,

    I think I mentioned that if you leave the link box blank, it will default to the link to the post and comments (permalink).

    I'm going to change the settings to turn that feature off until I can figure out how to use it in the body of the post/text. It was supposed to be turned off to start with, but somehow I missed it. That's good though, I've learned something new and know I have more to figure out!

    AAR

    ReplyDelete